[Food] Lao Ban Soya

by - 7/19/2012 03:55:00 PM

Back in December my friend Wengsun was talking how 
she knows where the best tau hway in Singapore... so we ended up at Old Airport Road's 
Lao Ban Soya Beancurd stall!



...





Just a short explanation of 'Tau Hway' for people who may not know what it is!

Tau Hway is a Chinese dessert that is made with soft tofu. 

 It's very interesting because 'Tau Hway' is what they call it in Singapore & Malaysia.

If you read the Chinese characters it's actually...

豆花 (dòuhuā).

I also found out that it's other name is also "豆腐脑"

Tofu brain?

Sounds like an insult.

Person A: I thought I told you to do this!?! *blah blah blah complain*

Person B: I'm sorry... *sadface*

Person: You're such a tofu brain....


See!!!!!


Alright back to the Tau Hway...

It's pretty much a tofu/soyabean pudding.

The places that I ate before always had their tofu and syrup are separated

so you have pieces of tofu swimming in a soup of syrup. 


HOWEVER 



LAO BAN IS DIFFERENT!!!!


Lao Ban's Tau Hway brings 'pudding' to a whole new level!

It's so smooth, silky, ぷるんぷるん ( 'purun purun' ...onomatopoeia of the texture of the pudding),

and it seriously...


MELTS IN YOUR MOUTH!!








   


I've tried both the almond ($2) and original ($1.50) flavor and I'm still not sure which one I like more...

When I got my wisdom tooth removed, this was my best friend!
Even before/after my surgery I can eat around 2-3 bowls of this in one day!!
...well
Only on those days I have access to this bowl of awesomeness


We always buy in bulk whenever we get the chance to get our hands on it!!!

Although a lot of other stores have tried to make their Tau Hway like Lao Ban's...
There's something always missing...

Do note that the queue = SUPER LONG and everyone likes to buy in bulk...
(I do it too...)


There's quite a few Lao Ban stalls across Singapore!
There's one at Maxwell Food Centre (near my workplace!!)
and another one at Old Airport road!




...


For those of you who have not tried it yet...
MUST MUST GO TRY!!

xoxo
Kiyoko

You May Also Like

2 comments