[Food x Cooking] Charlene's Birthday Dinner!

by - 5/07/2012 06:08:00 PM

A while ago I promised Charlene that I would cook her a 5 course Japanese meal if she did well on her exam that she took in HongKong.

So in the end it became a...
"welcome back from Hong Kong/You're done with exams/Happy Birthday" 
dinner!!! 

So this is what I ended up cooking!
I realized in the end that instead of a 5 course meal... 
if I included the rice as a dish, 
it would be a 6 course meal!!! 

This was my first time cooking a full course meal for 4 people so I admit I was super scared whether it would turn out nice...
but judging from everyone's reaction at the dinner table... 
I think it was a thumbs up!!!

How does it look?


...


I decided on a healthy menu so that this dinner would be guilt free!
No oil was used during this meal and I tried to put in as many veggies as possible!!!!
Also instead of a normal steak I used konnyaku because konnyaku is SUPER healthy and it's a popular diet dish in Japan!!!

Usually it's used for oden and tonjiru but Japanese people have found many other ways to use konnyaku for their diet!


Here's a closer picture and description of the dishes!!!


...


Veggies (asparagus, carrot, and enoki mushrooms) wrapped with beef slices
&
Garlic Konnyaku Steak


Salmon Sashimi!
(anyone can make this... lol)

Tonjiru 
(miso soup with pork and lots of veggies)

Mushroom rice
(3 types of mushroom & ginko nuts inside!)
I probably stuck in 500g of mushrooms inside so it's very healthy!!

Oh I also forgot to take a photo of the Chawanmushi...  *slaps self*
It's partially because it didn't turn out as pretty as it usually does...
I guess I'm not a pro multi-tasker as I thought I was... 

*image from wikipedia*
Either way...this is how it'll look like. lol


...


I'll probably do a recipe if anyone is interested in how to make theses dishes!!
What did you recently cook??
I would love to see what kind of awesome creation you cooked up!!!


...


xoxo
Kiyoko


You May Also Like

0 comments